How To Enroll
Enrollment is now open for the 2017–2018 school year. Apply today!
*Please note that TOPS accepts 12th grade students for fall enrollment only.
TOPS has some specific requirements that are important for you to note before you get started:
Proof of Prior Public School Enrollment
To show proof of enrollment in a public school during the 2016–17 school year, you must submit any one of the following documents from the 2016–17 school year:
- Report Card
- Progress report
All students must meet these additional requirements to be eligible to enroll:
- Meet the Level 2 passing standard on the previous year's STAAR scores. STAAR Confidential Student Report must be provided.
- Attended at least 90% of the enrolled time in the previous school. Students will need to provide an official attendance record from the previous school.
High school students must be on track to graduate with their cohort year as verified by the student's transcript.
Students who have been expelled are not eligible for enrollment. If a student was assigned to DAEP for disciplinary reasons, the student must have completed the entire DAEP assigned time prior to enrollment. Proof of completion from the previous district will be required.
All students must meet one of the three enrollment criteria options below:
- Reside in Texas, except as otherwise provided for in TEC Chapter 30A.002, and
- Not have graduated from high school, and
- Have been enrolled in a public school in Texas during the preceding year
- Have been previously enrolled in a Texas public high school and no longer reside in Texas as a result of a military deployment or transfer, or
- Have been placed in substitute care in Texas, regardless of whether the student was enrolled in a public school in Texas in the preceding school year
For more information on H.B. 3646, the 2009 legislation that includes terms of participation for students wishing to enroll in an online virtual school through the TxVSN, you may view the text from the bill.
Steps to Enroll
Enrolling your student is important--but it shouldn't be difficult. We've designed our enrollment process to provide you with the tools, resources and guidance you'll need, any time you need it. To ensure a seamless experience, we recommend using Google Chrome or Firefox as your web browser when completing the following steps.
If you need assistance in another language, please call 855.710.0910.
1. Create an Account
The Parent Portal provides on-demand access to our online Application and Admissions Process, real-time alerts to help you stay on track, and quick links to important info.
(Note: If the link doesn't open directly for you, right click on the link to open in a new tab)
2. Submit an Application
To submit an application, you'll provide us with basic information about your student and choose an available school.
3. Complete the Admissions Process
To complete the admissions process, you'll provide more detailed information about your student, submit necessary documentation and fulfill any additional requirements related to your student's enrollment.
Optional Pre-Enrollment Conferences
- The parent and/or legal guardian of every student enrolling in grades 3–12 has the option to attend a pre-enrollment conference as part of the enrollment process.
- The goal of this session is to provide you with a complete overview of what you can expect when school begins in the fall, including an introduction to the online learning setting.
4. Complete Any Next Steps
All prospective families will participate in a pre-approval telephone conference with an Enrollment Consultant. You may also have additional pre-approval actions depending on your student's individual situation. If this applies to you, you will be notified and instructed on how to complete them.
5. Receive Official Approval
Upon successful completion of the enrollment process, your student will be approved. Please check your email for important information regarding your student's approval and how to access the Online School.
Thanks for your interest in Texas Online Preparatory School! We look forward to you and your family joining our school community soon.