High School Curriculum
Courses Specifically Designed for High School Students
TOPS uses the K12 high school curriculum to serve our students in grades 9–12. The K12 online high school environment blends the best features of the company's world-renowned K–8 learning environment—the elegant and research-driven design, the compelling interactivity, the ease of use of both online and offline content—with key features designed to make the high school experience successful, given the far more complex high school world of content, skills, and time management.
A Robust Catalog of Courses for Diverse Learners
The course catalog offers a variety of comprehensive, elective, and Advanced Placement (AP) courses. Math, English, science, and history courses are offered in multiple versions to meet the needs of diverse learners with diverse goals. Up to four levels of World Languages are offered as well. Students can chart their own course, choosing from among the three levels of courses to match their aptitude and goals.
Three Versions of Core Subjects
With the K12 high school curriculum, students can harness the power of individualized learning by choosing from the following three versions of Math, English, Science, and History courses:
- Comprehensive courses are designed for students entering with a strong foundational knowledge and aptitude in the subject area being covered, as well as solid study skills.
- Honors courses hold students to a greater degree of accountability, and demand even greater independence and self-discipline than their Comprehensive counterparts.
- Advanced Placement (AP) courses are college-level courses that follow curriculum specified by the College Board. Like K12 Honors courses, AP courses require a greater degree of self-discipline for in-depth study of the subject.
Earn College Credit While in High School
Does your high school student want a head start on a college education? At Texas Online Preparatory School, eligible students in grade 11 and 12 are highly encouraged to enroll tuition-free in up to two courses per semester through a unique relationship with The University of Texas of the Permian Basin (UTPB) and apply college credit to both their school diploma and a post-secondary degree. Courses must align with the student's graduation plan and a "C" or better must be earned in order to receive credit.
Eligibility is based on the admissions policies of the University; however, there is an approval process through TOPS to ensure the course is cleared for high school credit and to determine how it will be applied to the student's transcript.
The number of students accessing dual-credit courses is listed below:
- 2015-2016 School Year:
- Fall semester: 11 students accessed 20 dual-credit courses
- Spring semester: 9 students accessed 16 dual-credit courses
- 2016-2017 School Year:
- Fall semester: 9 students accessed 14 dual-credit courses
- Spring semester: 9 students accessed 15 dual-credit courses
Proven Pathways to a Chosen Career
At Texas Online Preparatory School, your college or career-minded student can choose from a broad range of profession-focused courses for a competitive edge for the future, to discover his or her path after high school, or to explore a possible college major. These courses can provide a powerful introduction to fulfilling careers in Information Technology, Government and Public Administration, Marketing, Finance, Arts and Communication, and many more.