How to Enroll
Enrollment for the 2020–2021 school year is now open! Follow the steps below to apply today.
TOPS has some specific requirements that are important for you to note before you get started:
Proof of Prior Public School Enrollment
To show proof of enrollment in a public school during the 2019–2020 school year, you must submit any one of the following documents from the 2019–2020 school year:
- Report Card
- Progress report
All students must meet these additional requirements to be eligible to enroll:
- Meet “Approaches Grade Level” or above on the previous year's STAAR scores. STAAR Confidential Student Report must be provided. *We are waiting for more information regarding STAAR test eligibility due to COVID-19.
- Have 90% attendance in the current and previous school year to be eligible. Official attendance record from the previous school required.
High school students must be on track to graduate with their cohort year as verified by the student's transcript.
Students who have been expelled are not eligible for enrollment. If a student was assigned to DAEP for disciplinary reasons, the student must have completed the entire DAEP assigned time prior to enrollment. Proof of completion from the previous district will be required.
All students must meet one of the three enrollment criteria options below:
- Reside in Texas, except as otherwise provided for in TEC Chapter 30A.002, and
- Not have graduated from high school, and
- Have been enrolled in a public school in Texas during the preceding year
- Have been previously enrolled in a Texas public high school and no longer reside in Texas as a result of a military deployment or transfer, or
- Have been placed in substitute care in Texas, regardless of whether the student was enrolled in a public school in Texas in the preceding school year
For more information on H.B. 3646, the 2009 legislation that includes terms of participation for students wishing to enroll in an online virtual school through the TxVSN, you may view the text from the bill.
The parent and/or legal guardian of every student enrolling in grades 3–12 has the option to attend a pre-enrollment conference as part of the enrollment process.
The goal of this session is to provide you with a complete overview of what you can expect when school begins in the fall, including an introduction to the online learning setting.
Ways to Enroll
If you need assistance in another language, please call 855.710.0910.
1. Access the Parent Portal
2. Submit an Application
Once you've begun an application in the Parent Portal, click the option to add a new student or continue with your application. Simply fill in the fields with your child's information, select Texas Online Preparatory School and click Submit.
3. Complete the Admissions Process
In this step, you'll provide more detailed information about your student and upload additional documents, such as proof of residency and a birth certificate. For a list of specific documents that will be required, contact our enrollment consultants at 888.263.6497.
4. Next Steps
All families participate in a pre-approval telephone conversation with an enrollment consultant. This will help you identify documents you may need to complete, depending on your student’s situation.
5. Receive Official Approval
Upon successful completion of the enrollment process, your student will be approved. Please check your email for important information regarding your student's status and how to access the Online School platform.
Thank you for your interest in Texas Online Preparatory School! If you have questions on the enrollment process or need more information, please check our FAQs or call us at 888.263.6497.
We look forward to welcoming your family into our school community!