How To Enroll
Enrollment is open for the 2023–2024 school year!
Follow the steps below to apply today.
First, choose how you would like to enroll.
Four Simple Steps to Enroll
Create Parent Account
The K12 Parent Portal provides access to your online application to TOPS, along with real-time alerts and quick links to important info.
Submit an Application
Once you’ve begun an application in the K12 Parent Portal, click the option to add a new student or continue with your application. Simply fill in the fields with your child’s information, select TOPS, and hit Submit.
We recommend using Google Chrome or Firefox as your web browser if you enroll online.
If you need assistance in another language, please call 855.710.0910.
Want more great tips for enrollment and beyond?
TOPS has some specific requirements that are important for you to note before you get started:
Proof of Prior Public School Enrollment
In order to enroll, your child must have attended a Texas public school the prior school year. To show proof of this, you must submit any one of the following documents from the previous school year:
- Report Card
- Progress report
3rd through 8th Academics and STAAR:
- Students must have been promoted to the next grade level from the last school year.
- Students must have taken and passed all required STAAR Math and Reading tests from the previous year with a minimum of an Approaches performance level.
- Students enrolling in the spring semester must have a received passing grades in all core-classes on the student’s latest grade report. (Core classes are Math, Reading/Language Arts, Social Studies, and Science.)
9th through 12th grade Academics and STAAR End of Course (EOC) Exams:
- Students must be on track to graduate with their cohort year (a student’s cohort year is the year they entered 9th grade). This will be verified by the student’s transcript.
- All EOC required tests taken previously must show a minimum of an Approaches performance level (incoming 9th graders must have been promoted and must show Approaches in Math and ELAR).
- Students enrolling in the spring semester must have received passing grades in all core-classes on the student’s latest grade report. (Core classes are Math, Reading/Language Arts, Social Studies/History, and Science.)
- Students must have satisfactory behavior.
- Students should have no record of mandatory DAEP/JJAEP placement, or record of incarceration in the current or previous school year.
- An applicant’s discipline file may be reviewed if he/she has multiple OSS/ISS assignments or suspensions in the previous or current school year
All military students coming into the state may school with TOPS even if they did not school with a Texas public school the previous year. However, these students must have attended a publicly funded school and will need to be approved by our district partner.
- All high school students who have been previously enrolled in a Texas public high school and no longer reside in Texas as a result of a military deployment or transfer, can enroll in TOPS.
- Please Note: Students must come back for state testing.
All students must meet one of the three enrollment criteria options below:
- Reside in Texas, except as otherwise provided for in TEC Chapter 30A.002
- Not have graduated from high school
- Have been enrolled in a public school in Texas during the preceding year
- Have been previously enrolled in a Texas public high school and no longer reside in Texas as a result of a military deployment or transfer
- Have been placed in substitute care in Texas, regardless of whether the student was enrolled in a public school in Texas in the preceding school year